Monday, September 24, 2007

#6


We just added terabyte #6 to the "stable" of hard drives here at MNP. For those of you that aren't photographers or nerds, a terabyte is 1000 gigabytes. All together we have about 8.5tb of total storage and its seems to grow by a couple of terabytes every few months. We've shot about 2.5tb of images in the past year and we have everything backed up twice on hard disk and also on DVD. I've done tons of research on the best way to store images and the concensus seems to be this way... lots of drives, a second backup of the images on another physical drive and a third on DVD or CD.

When I was first starting out I searched and searched for answers to my questions and although I found a lot of photography related help, answers to questions about storage, workflow and just the day to day business of being a photographer, were not as readily available. Now I'm getting questions from other photographers just starting out about issues they're facing so I thought I'd start posting about stuff like this in hopes to possibly help someone out.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember that first computer you bought from me years ago...It had a 1GB hard drve. Oh the simple days...

8:11 AM  
Blogger Micah said...

Wow. All of a sudden my new 500 GB MyBook drive seems completely insignificant. Keep the helpful tips coming!

6 TB's!! Good grief...I don't think I can wrap my mind around that.

1:02 PM  
Blogger mike Carpenter said...

That will be a great help. You know every time I talk to you I have questions. I told you that you would be teaching this stuff didn't I ?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hi Michael, this is Sam...Tivian's fiancee. I am glad to have you shooting our wedding...I enjoyed your photos of Cameron.

I have been keeping my eye on a really interesting storage device called Drobo by Data Robotics. It's a drive array that gives you redunancy (like a RAID array), but also lets you swap in bigger drives if you need more space (unlike a RAID array). I think it's at www.drobo.com

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a bit interesting to us nonphotographer types but really, we want pictures. 8 days of nothing but terabytes...we want more, we NEED more!!! yo mama :)

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home