Wednesday, April 09, 2008

McCain

Ok here's the first of many posts to come. Last week I shot an event where John McCain, the GOP candidate, spoke. He was actually very engaging and pretty interesting... something I wasn't really expecting. The event was planned by my good friends over at Simply Mumtaz.

I got there about 45 minutes before the event was supposed to start and took my place among the rest of the photographers. A few minutes later I got permission to go to the second floor and shoot from there which was awesome because I wouldn't have to jockey for position, trying to get a good shot. So I went upstairs and set up.

I sat there alone for about 20 minutes when five LAPD officers came up and immediately started harassing me, searching me, searching my equipment, threatening to take my cards, asking for ID that proved I had permission to be there. Instead of finding out if there was a problem they assumed there was one. Once I proved to them (several times in several different ways) that I was allowed to be there they told me they needed my seat for surveillance and put me over in the corner where most of my view was blocked by columns. Look, I know you have to protect politicians but, come on, let's be professional officers.

I hope this doesn't get me on their bad list.

Ladies and gentlemen, John McCain.



There was tons of press there... here's CNN's setup.

And here's how channel 14 rolls. Bringin' the heat!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Channel 14 rocks! I think I'm going to start shooting weddings with an iPhone!!!

So, I gotta ask -- in the first pic, was it an intentional political statement that you didn't crop out the fella yawning during McCain's speech???

Just curious! :)

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Channel 14 rocks! I think I'm going to start shooting weddings with an iPhone!!!

So, I gotta ask -- in the first pic, was it an intentional political statement that you didn't crop out the fella yawning during McCain's speech???

Just curious! :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Rinaldi said...

Very awesome experience! Good shots!

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jeret Slack said...

Man, that sucks that they were harassing you

8:01 PM  
Blogger anna joy said...

hahahah 14

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Yaggi Photography Kent Wedding Photographers said...

We really enjoyed viewing your blog and will be back for more inspiration!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home