Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Sweet Visalia?

Isn't there a country song with that name? No its "Sweet Vidalia". I always thought it was clever: a song named after a girl, named after an onion, named after a town in Georgia. Those country music songwriters are so imaginative.

Anyway, back to the purpose of the post. A few weeks ago my family and I decided to get away for a few days before wedding season swallows me up for the next 6 months. And when you're thinking of a place to get away, what the first spot that comes to mind? Exactly, Visalia, CA. I mean, what more could you want in a town?

We actually went to visit some friends there and hang out for a few days. We met the Aicklens back in February when I attended the Mike Colon Seminar. Tiffany is an amazing wedding photographer and her and Travis have a little girl, Avery, not too much younger than Makenzie. We had so much in common we hit it off right away. The next month I went to WPPI in Las Vegas and hung out again with Tiffany and listened to story after story, on and on about how great Visalia was. Then I found out that my good friend Sara France is from Visalia as well so I decided it couldn't be that bad.

We left on a Saturday night after a wedding and spent Sunday through Thursday up there enjoying the slower pace of a small town. We went to their awesome church on Sunday morning where Travis is the pastor. We ate at some really great restaurants in the thriving downtown area... seriously it is thriving, I'm not being sarcastic. We also took Tuesday and Wednesday and went up to Sequioa National Park to go camping. I hadn't seen the Giant Sequoias since high school so I was just as in awe as I was back then. It was awesome, aside from freezing all night while being terrified that a bear was going to smell the toothpaste I used to brush my teeth before bed and attack me in my sleep. No really it was great. Thursday before we left, we walked downtown to their favorite coffee bar for breakfast and then spent a couple hours just hanging out downtown, stopping every 10 steps as they ran into friends, aquaintances, clients. Seriously they know everyone.

So the verdict: Visalia is sweet... there I said it. We had a great time.

I actually did take some pictures of them but I used Tiffany's camera so I can't show them to you. Maybe she'll blog about our visit. In the meantime here are a few pics of things I saw while I was up there.





Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger david said...

You took a picture of a cow? Your subconscious is definitely looking forward to being back in Texas.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Aicklen said...

What a great post! I smiled the whole time I read, you guys want to come back next week? We had such a great time with you guys, the house next door is still for sale :)

Just for the record The Aicklens love the Norwoods! Awesome pics Michael. I will get you the photos you shot of us. You're the best.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home