Friday, February 02, 2007

Photographing still life

Well technically I was photographing Stillife.

Before I was a photographer I was a musician. I was in a band, creatively named "Norwood." Now, before you go accusing me of being conceited or having a rock star complex it was the rest of the band that came up with the name. We had a good run, toured a whole bunch, we put like 30,000 miles on my SUV in three months in 2004 driving all across creation. Then I decided to move here to California. So there they were, a band without a singer, and eventually they found a singer without a band and formed Stillife. They got a record deal and now they're climbing the proverbial ladder of success.

So Beji, my old drummer and one of my best friends called me up last month and said he'd just gotten endorsement deals with Silverfox Drumsicks and Risen Drums and he needed some promo shots. So he came out last weekend from Texas and we went out and got some really cool stuff which is going into DRUM Magazine soon and hopefully a few others too.

The first place we went was Balboa Island. I've seen this alley down there a few times and always thought it would be a cool place to shoot... really urban. So we're walking down the alley and this girl is following us very suspiciously. We stop and begin to shoot and she's watching us like a hawk. After a few minutes of her hovering over us I turn around and start talking to her... turns out she's homeless, living in an abandoned theater down there and we're taking pictures right by her "front door" (which is just a hole that someone's made in the outside wall of the theater). We assure her were not after her stuff and then with a 20($) convince her to be in the background of our shoot. Nancy was a pretty cool girl.

Here are a few from the shoot.

As cool as Beji looks, he squealed like a 13 year old girl when he heard he was going to be on my blog.





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home