Saturday, August 18, 2007

Old School like an old fool...

Props to the first person to catch that allusion.

A few weeks ago at Danielle and Paul's wedding I was going out to my car to get some pocket wizards and some flashes and I saw in my trunk some film and my film camera. I always keep some with me just in case something happens. I've never had to pull it out but its there just for insurance. Well I decided to grab a roll of T-Max 3200 and shoot it during the reception. I felt like an idiot the whole time because I'd take a shot and then instictively look at the back of my camera. WEll I finished the roll and then last week took it in to get processed and scanned.

Yesterday I picked the images up and was just blown away. I'd fogotten what real black and white looked like. I've always been somewhat dissatisfied with black and whites from digital. They never really look right to me. I mean, they look ok, but just a little "off." Well it looks like I'll be shooting some more high speed black and white film. This might be a controversial thing to say but the black and whites that come from this film just can't be matched digitally. Anyway here are a few images. Nothing too incredibly exciting but you'll get the idea.




Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger AmyC said...

who's so cool...

Yeah. I got it right away. I'm embarassed.

Anyway, these photos rock! I'm LOVING the grain...just loving the look, and it's funny to think that NONE of this was done in photoshop! Crazy! Makes me want to go out & get some film.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check it to wreck it, let's begin...nice chair shots.

8:42 PM  
Blogger bryn alexandra said...

OMG I absolutely love those shots. Please feel free to use this camera at our wedding :)

9:02 PM  
Blogger dapotato said...

those are awesome! what a great surprise. thanks for going the extra mile in so many ways on the day of. we love the photos and are getting rave reviews from guests.
-danielle + paul

8:48 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

oh, and love the post title - fits in more ways than one! ;)

8:53 AM  
Blogger wan said...

beautiful! nothing beats OG camera & film - especially in black and white.

9:12 AM  
Blogger weezermonkey said...

Whoomp. There it is. Love these.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love them. I'm a huge fan of the b & w! Your wedding was so beautiful. - cpsocal -

1:27 PM  
Blogger Matt Paddack said...

If you wanna get down, let me show you tha' way...

You just cant get truw film grain like that in photoshop. Good work my friend.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
Those look like the Life Magazine layouts they sometimes do in b&w. Once again, your talent shines through.

Love,
Sara (your cousin and frequent lurker of your work..)

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW...these b&w pictures are amazing!! Old school but classic! Can't wait to work with you at Nita & Nate's wedding!

9:44 PM  
Blogger AmyC said...

Norwood. C'mon. Update already.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Jose Villa said...

hey these look stunning.,,. love the film...

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home