Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Indestructible iPhone



Last week I got a call from my buddy Mike Colon asking if I wanted to go snowboarding. So we went up to the mountains with a couple other friends to take advantage of the incredible snow conditions up in Big Bear.

Late in the day we were boarding through the trees and ravines and I got into some super deep powder. I fell end over end. After I got up I caught up to Mike and Justin who'd sat down to wait for me. We went back down to the bottom of the mountain to see if we could find our other friend Travis that we had lost along the way.

After a while we jumped back on the lift and Mike says, "oh no, I lost my phone". After a couple minutes he realized that he just put it in a different pocket. At that point I thought I'd check just to make sure my phone was still in its place. Nope. After we got off the the lift I searched through all my pockets only confirming my fears, my beloved iPhone was gone. Mike was optimistic. He said we'd just retrace our steps and find it. I was a not so sure. On one hand we went off the trails so it was less likely that someone else had found it and pocketed it but on the other hand we went through the trees, with tons and tons of powder... there was next to no chance that we'd find it.

We set off going through the forest, retracing our tracks. About halfway down I'd all but given up but we kept going. We stopped where I fell earlier only to see just how deep the powder really was. A little ways down we stopped where they'd initially waited for me. I stopped and knelt down knowing that I'd never see my phone again... just then a tiny black spot in the snow caught my eye. I reached deep into the snow pulling out MY iPHONE! If I'd stopped 6 inches in any direction other than where I did I wouldn't have seen it. And the even better news, it still worked! After about 45 minutes buried in the snow it kept going like a champ. After I pulled it out of the snow Mike asked me if I was praying on the way down, "all the way," I said!

Life was good again. Good friends, incredible snowboarding and I was reunited with my precious iPhone. Let's do it again guys!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike Colón said...

Dude, that was a miracle that you found your phone in that much powder! God is good for answering our prayers! Let's go again soon.. maybe next week when I have a short break from my tour.
Oh yeah... I should tell the story on my blog about Justin's board flying off of my car on the freeway! Check out this freakish coincidence... he was in Liberty Board Shop today picking out a new board and Julie walked in just as he was telling a guy that worked there about how he lost his board. Julie, never having met Justin before, asked him if his name was Justin. The crazy thing is that Julie hadn't been in there for like 6 years and just happened to walk in right as he was talking about losing his board.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Dogeared said...

All hail Apple! [/MacBook devotee]

6:12 AM  
Blogger Travis Hoehne said...

"With faith the size of a mustard seed you can... 'find an iPhone in 6 feet of fresh powder'... That might be a bit of a loose translation! I had a blast and I'm totally down for going again soon.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Marie Moyers said...

Go Apple Go!!!
Lots of powder at Whistler,B.C.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Tiffany Aicklen said...

That is CRAZY!!!

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home